Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Sad L word




It's a discouraging cycle. I have a few weeks off work before I start coaching. You'd think I'd be loving it, swallowing up every moment of pure "Eve" time without the noises of children or the stresses of work. Yet I find myself despairingly lonely. Why? I've been in my apartment alone alot. We just moved in and I've had to spend a good deal of time putting things in their proper place, cleaning, cooking, etc...Keith is working over 60 hours a week- both a parttime and fulltime job, so he's not home much. And it is just so freaking hot outside- which would be more bareable if it were not for my wicked allergies and growing pregnant belly.

I've been lonely before. Everyday we might feel it at some point . But the kind of loneliness I'm talking about is the kind that slowly creeps in as a constant feeling. I did feel it in college quite a bit, got out of it my last two years or longed for it after papers or long classes. It is harder to feel it now, though. After being newly married and knowing a baby is on the way that will keep me in the house alone for even longer hours. I think maybe a baby will help the loneliness, but I'm not so sure...

I asked someone I look up to how they deal with loneliness. This person is in a type of ministry that often leaves her drained and without real people that give back to her. She couldn't fully answer my question as to how to deal with the sick feeling other than to cry it out, to remind herself that loneliness is momentary, that there will be people later, that they are people even know that are loving her and thinking of her. She still feels it ,though.

I miss my cats. I miss my friends. I miss my husband. I miss fellowship.

So here are my questions, don't leave my mind lonely :)
-What is loneliness?
- When do people feel most lonely?
-How can we deal with it before it becomes a state of being?
- Is it possible that sometimes marriages, children, and jobs (that surround us with people)
can make us feel more lonely ?

8 comments:

Justin said...

I think you raise some interesting questions.

Lonliness, I think, is our desire for meaningful relationships. People feel lonely when their circumstances leave that desire unfufilled. Given different people's sociability, intro/extrovertedness, I'm sure that different people feel lonliness more often and more quickly than others. For example, two days of being without meaningful relationship might create lonliness in one person but bring refreshment, restoration in another.

I think that everyone feels lonely. I don't think anyone exists as "an island," without need for relationship with others.

I, for one, love the time I have with my wife and appreciate the time I have with my co-workers. But if time with these people is ALL I have, I will still feel lonely because I desire something more. I desire friendships and community with other people. Cheryl brings a LOT to my life but still desire friends for their companionship, perspective, humor and because of past history. It's a myth that our spouses are the be all, end all complement to our lives.

Your last question is most interesting and our answers tell us the most about ourselves. I think we can look at our loneliness and our friendships that we miss and really start to identify what we miss, why we miss those people. What do I really need? What is absent in my life without them? Sometimes, in marriage and friendship, I can self-identify that need and find it in someone else. Other times, I can't do this -- and I miss those people.

The Chinlund Family said...

Hi Eve. I'm not sure I have any answers for you, I just wanted to let you know that I get lonely too. (Misery loves company, right?)I have lived in the Quad Cities for over a year and a half now, and though I have made a lot of friends, I often just miss my old ones. The ones I have a history with. I miss my parents, my brother, my cats, my hometown, my old church family. I guess when I get sad I just try and be thankful that I have that many people (and animals!) to miss! I've heard it takes awhile to put down roots, so take heart! "This too, shall pass" :) In the meantime, are you having fun planning for the baby?

Eve said...

Wise words from both of you....i like what you said about loneliness being our "desire for meaningful relationships" and " it takes awhile to put down roots". I appreciate both of your honesty . It helps to know youre not alone in sometimes feeling lonely, missing people and CATS! I miss my cats a ton!
Im feeling my baby kick more. I wouldn't say Im "planning" much...It's really still sinking in. There is a baby shower in a few weeks for a few of us pregnant seminary wives, i think that will be fun...its more fun to watch grandparents get excited and make extreme plans :)
I hope a baby will bring about a renewed appreciation for life and fellowship in the simplest of terms and soft touches. We'll see...

Elizabeth said...

Palmer!
For some reason, I've been thinking about you today and so I randomly googled you and couldn't help but laugh when I saw a link that said "for the love of hugsby." It made my day!
Congratulations on your pregnancy! When Lori confirmed it for me at Joy's wedding, I was seriously in disbelief for days. It's just so crazy how life happens! I'm so happy for you and cannot wait to see you as a mother!
A sidenote about the loneliness thing. 1. As work has increasingly consumed much of my life (which at one time, I thought real jobs were supposed to be like and wanted a "real" one so badly) there are times I definitely feel more of a disconnect with the world around me. I suppose the state of loneliness can leave us all very vulnerable- it makes me question a lot of things.
2. On a much lighter note, I really think you need to get a kitten!!!
Anyway, I miss you Eve! My email is esbelville@yahoo.com
Email me anytime you're bored or lonely ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't like cats! I like you Eveage Cleaveage!! Are you excited about the breast size increasing!!!!!?

X-Tina

Eve said...

SHOVE IT ya XTINA POO FACE

Anonymous said...

What a great site Idaho district 7 legal forms Side effects from ativan http://www.1965-gmc-truck.info/philadelphia_eagles_jackets.html softstack bulk e mailer v4 5 tno Bc football field moving services horse pony transport Mcmanus poker Surveillance home camera croheted mini dresses Christian cruise single valentine Cum on my black ass Black free pic transexual

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Car accidents in the newspaper paris hilton video Vacation travel bus tours oklahoma city buy ultram Cricket free kyocera ringtone ultram perfumes