Monday, August 28, 2006

Coffee "Partner"


Some quick news.
I was in need of a part time job. A low pressure, willing to work around my soccer coaching schedule, with some employee perks part time job.
And I had this friend who loved working at Starbucks. Starbucks provides full time benefits for part time "partners" (since we can share in Starbucks "bean" stock we are considered partners rather than employees). I, then, happened to be downtown at a local starbucks having a small job fair. So i interviewed. I knew the girl interviewing - she had been in a Spanish class with me. And had been in Americorps.
Needless to say, things came together and I had a job offer in a couple of days.
I began training. I have a green apron now- which nicely outlines my pregnant belly.
Coffee tasting is part of the job, and of course, marking my thoughts on each coffee's aroma, flavor, body, and acidity- see Im learning already- in my Coffee Passport.
It's hard to swallow the backsliding from a non-profit community enhancing career minded job to a parttime, i dont even have a college degree yet, franchise.
But hey, Humility isnt bad when it comes with benefits!
Let me know what you think of Starbucks. I like their drinks, but I've never been one to actually purchase them- I cant even buy overpriced maternity pants, Im sure as heck not gonna be expensive coffee that goes in one end an out the other...they do, though, at least promote environmental and community awareness.
We shall see...Im also afraid of burning myself. Any thoughts on burns?

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

yay! i've been waiting for you to update.
remember amos?? Haha. Well his girlfriend is a starbucks mgr and from what i hear it's a really good company to work for and it takes good care of its employees.
i feel like pretty much every college graduate i know has the humbling experience when it comes to jobs. heck, i was doing the same thing since high school a year after college graduation! and i'm still no closer to my dream job.
anyway, even though the coffee is overpriced and the sizes make no sense, i'm still a frequent patron, because it's so much easier to buy a fancy drink than make it.

Eve said...

well put, belville! thanks for the support :)

Eve said...

well put, belville! thanks for the support :)

Anonymous said...

I used to work at a coffee shop and I LOVE Starbucks!! My favorite drink is a White Mocha with 1 1/2 pumps of Caramel and 1 1/2 pumps of Vanilla syrup with Soy Milk no whip!!! It's delicious!! You barely taste the coffee. I got it for Laurie the day of your wedding.

I tried to get a job there after college graduation. I also heard that they are a good company to work for. It sucks if you have to go in at 5 am though!!! You meet new people and learn their drinks. You gotta love the regulars that come in everyday and that order the same thing. I got to the point where as soon as I saw their cars pull in to the parking lot I started steaming the milk and getting their coffee ready.

I think you'll enjoy Eveage Cleavage!!

Christina H.

Eve said...

gracias mi chica ! i will make a drink for you adn send it via airmail. I do remember the wedding morning starbucks, what a great idea that was!