Friday, February 17, 2006

A response to A MELVILLE

Yes. I admit, and with great pride, that Hugsby comes before all the rest. It is true that if i could've put him in a BEEFY little suit and stood him up in my wedding, I would have. "Sick", "Ridiculous", "Cats drool"...these are some responses you might give, but it's only because you have yet to fall in love with a cat. And no, it doesn't count if you've fallen in love with a dog- or a pooch if your name is Wendell. Let me explain, Hugsby is first and foremost MY cat. He became mine when i spilled hot chocolate on him when he was 2 weeks old and I was 2 years old. He is quite valuable in and of himself- a pure bred, seal-point siamese- a 200 dollar creature we're talking.
I named him after my favorite book about a bumble bee named "Honeycicle", hence HUGS-BEE. Not only did he withstand the bonnets and the strollers, but he was there through thick and thin...when I would cry in my room alone without anyone to comfort me, he nudged his little head on my knee. Even in high school, if i was stressed out with work, he would crawl into my lap and snooze or slap my pencil out of my hand or lay on my book. He lived in 2 homes with me, lost a brother, and now has 2 mistresses (named Lucky and Freeby).
Why this exaltation of the cat? Perhaps because the cat is creature most capable of emulating human characteristics. Cats are independant, yet manipulative. Cats are giving, yet taking. Cats are often quiet, but express with boy langauge. Cats sleep, but are always awake to perceive a smell, sound, or touch. Cats are selfish, yet give affection at one's most needy moment. If any animal has a soul, it is a cat.
I love my friends. THerefore, I love Hugsby...and all of you!
So don't be dissin my kitty!

1 comment:

Justin said...

So let me get this straight --
the cat is manipulative, gives only when feels like it, pretends to be asleep unless its to their advantage to not be, demands attention irregardless of what you're doing and is polygomous.

Sounds great. Sign me up.