Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Daffodils and Spring Lambs

Spring has pretty much arrived in St. Andrews.  Flowers everywhere!  There is an abundance of yellow daffodils, crocuses, snow drops, and tulips.  Most yards are well manicured and instead of fences, either hedges or flowers mark the boundary. As I marvel at all this beauty, I am reminded that life is more about being a flower, taking in the sun, and radiating beauty than about doing, striving, and rushing.  Im enjoying the open window with the Scottish wind flowing through our living room. 

I want to feel hopeful, peaceful, and joyful like the weather outside, but I feel the internal dissonance.The tree in the back is beginning to bud and my mind's eye brought forth an image of the first Eve reaching up to take its fruit.  What fruit have I been picking lately that makes my blessed world seem drab?  Fruits of fear, anxiety, bitterness and insecurity.  Another image replaces the first.  I see my young daughters.  They aren't reaching for the fruit on the forbidden tree.  They are simply enjoying its shade and obeying in delight and trust.  As sisters, they are picking the berries of joy, peace, celebration, sharing, friendship, and forgiveness.  "Be like a child", the self-expression of the Ancient of Days echoes in my soul.  I love that in raising my children I not only get to relive childhood in some ways, but also have ever-present markers of childlike faith.

This will be our first Spring in St. Andrews and it seems to be the peak season of the chilly year.  Autumn and I just returned from a visit to Koln, Germany where my very pregnant friend Lori is currently living.  Despite the challenges of baby in utero and baby in junky pram, we were able to see and explore the famous Dom cathedral, the chocolate museum (sponsered by Lindt or Lindor), walk along the Rhine River, the smaller city of Dusseldorf, many German bakeries and an infamous Brauhaus, and some lovely parks.  Keith and Claire had a week of "Daddy Disneyland" as I've heard it called taking it easy eating out, relaxing, and playing it up. 


Lastly, for your personal enjoyment, a few funny recent Claire stories. 
"Mom, what are crabs and sux?"  Surprise, embarrassment, and anger at society begin to clog my throat.  "What do you mean, honey? Where did you hear that?  What are they saying at school?".  "Not at school, Mom...that boy at church who also said 'Oh, crabs!' "  Phew! I realized she was referring to "Oh Crap" and "sux" turned out to be "sucks" but her Scottish accent had thrown me off. 

"Mom, this boy at school always says 'I'm six-y and I know it!'  What does that mean?"  Without thinking I said, you mean "sexy".  "No, I mean SIX-y!".  Catching myself before teaching her the word "sexy" for the second time, I said "Oh right, 6-y!  I'm not sure what he means, but that's not something we say or dance about...."  My innocent Primary 1 girl, Im afraid of what P2 might bring!

On our way to school after the occassional morning fight, very happily Claire says.  "Ya know, Mommy, when you were yelling at me, you reminded me of the Bad Mommy in the Rapunzel movie."  For those of you who haven't seen Tangled, she was referring to the bad kidnapper lady.  YIKES

At the dinner table I was asking Claire about a boy in her class whom Keith and I were suspicious she might have a slight crush on.  "So, Claire, why did you move to sit by Tom (we'll call him) at the restaurant the other day?"  "I don't know Mommy, he's my friend"   I continued "He's kind of a cutie pie, huh?".  Claire shrugged and made a half disgusted face.  I said, "I think he's kind of a cutie pie...".  She looks up at Keith, perhaps looking for a father's approval and asks in a full and remarkable Scottish accent, "Do you think so?".  Classic!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel for ya, Eve... Having a 5 y/o with a 280 IQ is difficult.

Christina said...

I love your stories of Claire! They always make me laugh! I love how you put that question of "What fruit have I been picking lately that makes my blessed world seem drab?" It's a good one to meditate on and think about when you feel like your going in a dark hole. I'm sorry you've been overwhelmed by the business of life. Mike and I have been feeling that way with the baby coming soon. I'm at 30 weeks now and we still don't have a crib up. I feel anxious by all the things we need to do and choose before the baby comes. But this is a good reminder that we must put our trust in the Lord to provide for our needs and to provide strength and endurance during this busy time. In Matthew it says to not be anxious about tomorrow for today has its own worries.

Miss you friend!

Anonymous said...

generic valium valium and flexeril drug interactions - valium xanax online

Anonymous said...

discount ambien ambien and pregnancy safe - cheapest generic ambien online

Anonymous said...

online xanax no prescription xanax xr generic pictures - xanax 0.5 high

Anonymous said...

is lorazepam stronger than diazepam diazepam 5mg - diazepam dosage tmj

Anonymous said...

buy valium online no prescription cheap expired medication valium - valium not working anxiety

Anonymous said...

ativan online pharmacy ativan drug vs xanax - ativan withdrawal symptoms in infants

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam diazepam dosage 2mg - diazepam 3mg

Anonymous said...

online xanax death by xanax overdose - xanax side effects men

Anonymous said...

ativan pills ativan withdrawal and heart palpitations - lorazepam 1mg que es

Anonymous said...

carisoprodol online carisoprodol 350 mg web md - dosage for carisoprodol 350 mg

Anonymous said...

ambien on line ambien sleep long flights - ambien side effects violence

Anonymous said...

valium medication valium 5mg 5619 - valium dosage sleep

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium addiction - side effects valium 10 mg

Anonymous said...

zolpidem drug buy ambien no prescription - ambien lounge bean bags reviews

Anonymous said...

buy soma 350mg buy 120 soma online - buy somatropin india