Sunday, October 02, 2011

Mummy!


It has been a little over 3 weeks or so and Claire has already began picking up Scottish inflections in her language.  Over half of her questions now rise up at the end and I have to look and make sure my daughter hasn't turned into the little girl in Mary Poppins.  Her "mommy" is becoming "mummy" and she has informed me that it is not a trash "can" but a "bin".  Claire is doing really well with school and enjoying being chased by the boys before school while she runs off with her friend Amy.  We also found a girl just a street over who is also an American to play with and the two connected immediately- Elizabeth is certainly an answer to prayer. 

Auty booty boo (Autumn that is) seems to be adjusting to life in a stroller.  She and I frequently walk 2+ miles a day and she has to take several naps in a seat that only slightly reclines.  She is getting used to the many curbs and bumps in the sidewalk and I think it distracts her from the pain of teething that has begun.  She is making more noises- growling and fussing when she wants attention.  Overall, though, I have to admit that she is one happy and easy baby.  People are constantly ooh-ing and ahh-ing over her bright blue eyes (that stand out more because she seems near incapable of blinking).  We are finding that she really delights in playing with her legs, pushing on people and toys- looks like we may have a soccer star in our future!

As for me, well I am EXHAUSTED.  Walking everywhere and dragging the kiddos along is no picnic especially in rainy Scotland.  Hanging laundry all over the house, taking mile hikes to and from the grocery with little room to carry what we've purchased, keeping up with auty and claire, and trying to be as extroverted as possible to make new friends is taking all the energy I have.  I am, though, meeting some great people and feeling more connected to the community.  I have managed to get involved in the university's ultimate frisbee club and even passed for a "Fresher" (a first year undergrad!).  Once we manage to find me a usable bicycle and a baby bike seat I think life will get much easier.  For now, I think I am gaining a taste of what life was like for women before cars, dryers, phones, and internet.  I am also getting to meet a few more Scottish mom's from Claire's school.  For the most part, they seem extremely down to earth, honest, sarcastic, and ready to enjoy a few pints themselves.  I think I am going to enjoy them thoroughly;)

I wish I had more interesting things to share, but my brain is fried and I've been too tired to even take pictures yet.  I will get around to posting some soon.  Love to you all!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

LOVE the Scottish accent and the description of Claire's inflections at the end of sentences! It sounds wonderful there. And have a pint with the ladies, they sure know how to enjoy an evening out.

Christina said...

Thanks for blogging about your life in Scotland! One thing I'm learning is that we can not do life on our own strength! We will run out of energy! Chris is there to aid us in all things: "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need," Hebrews 4:16. Love you friend!!! I'll be praying for you and pray that God will bless you with a great bicycle! ;)